I'm Steven Rombauts, an enthusiastic software developer with a strong background in web development. I help companies and startups to plan, build and maintain their web application projects and infrastructure.
As a product-minded software engineer I prefer to balance the technical with the product and business considerations.
I focus primarily on building digital workflow and process management tools, company portals and customer dashboards. I also have extensive experience with infrastructure management, automation and DevOps.
As an experienced team leader, I take great pride in my ability to enthuse and motivate others and helping people succeed.
I currently work as a freelance consultant and focus my developer expertise on building and growing Laravel applications.
You build it, you run it.
(in order of skill level)This list is not exhaustive. Any project starts by looking for the right tool for the job.
- PHP (Laravel, Kodekit, Symfony, ..)
- Visual Basic
- PHPMig / Phinx
Services & tools
- Rackspace Cloud (Cloud Servers, Cloud Databases, Cloud Backups, ..)
- Azure Cloud
- New Relic
- Google Cloud
- AWS (API Gateway, Lambda, EC2, CloudWatch, Route53, SNS, SQS, ..)
Senior Software Consultant / Team Lead
2022 - present
Zomentum helps IT service providers maximize their revenue.
Growing the billing reconciliation platform Zomentum Connect (formerly Goolash) after being acquired and integrating it into the Zomentum platform.
- Recruiting, building and leading a team of engineers and software testers
- Collaborating closely with product managers to understand and prioritize features, resulting in significant growth for the product
- Implementing best practices for software development, resulting in improved code quality and maintainability
- Mentoring and training junior engineers, contributing to the development of a strong and skilled team
- Actively seeking out and implementing new technologies to improve the team's efficiency and effectiveness
Technical co-founder and Lead Engineer
August 2017 - 2021
Goolash is a Software-as-a-Service startup to help IT service providers maximize their profits. Acquired by Zomentum in 2021.
- Created Proof-of-Concept and nurtured it into a production-ready software application managing millions of IT licenses
- Idea validation and setting out product strategy
- On-boarding first customers and customer support
- Infrastructure architecture and maintenance
- Running marketing experiments and managing content strategy
November 2015 - August 2020
Cavere is an IT service provider in Belgium.
- Maintaining and securing their Linux infrastructure.
Lead DevOps Engineer
April 2012 - January 2021
Timble provides enterprise level development services centred around web applications and specialises in technology consultancy, advising startups and large cooperations.
- Lead DevOps engineer in charge of infrastructure management and systems monitoring.
- Planning and execution of consultancy projects.
- Providing training and technical support on Timble client projects.
April 2012 - January 2021
Joomlatools is a leading Joomla brand, providing world-class Joomla extensions and support.
- Lead Developer on the customer support portal.
- Planning, building and maintaining Continuous Integration pipelines.
- Lead Developer on a powerful suite of open source development tools for Joomla developers.
- Code reviews and project management.
- Writing blog posts to communicate our work and its significance to (potential) customers.
September 2009 - April 2012
An web development company providing online services and applications for small businesses.
- Lead Developer and project manager for a multitude of customer projects.
Full professional proficiency
Limited working proficiency
Here are some of the things I've been up to in these past years:
Goolash acquired by Zomentum
Supported the acquisition of Goolash and scaling up of the development team at Zomentum.January 2022
Built the Goolash application to automate IT billing processes and helped to launch and market this startup.October 2018
Implemented an API layer on top of the Linked-Law platform for content publishers.June 2018
Updating servers w/ Ansible
Created Ansible scripts to automatically update all installed packages on existing Cloud infrastructure at Timble.
Time to apply security updates now takes 35 minutes, instead of an entire day.November 2017
Built a programmable hosting infrastructure and deployment pipeline for Marsvaardig, a startup bringing a new perspective to building and maintaining websites.October 2017
AI web platform
Worked alongside a team of researchers to create a web API from their existing R code, using AWS API Gateway and OpenCPU.August 2017
Built and helped to launch Linked-Law, a knowledge-sharing network for lawyers and jurists.June 2017
Design and replace all running cloud servers at Timble using Puppet configuration management, upgrading core technologies to latest versions in the process.August 2016
Peptide GPCR Project
Built a project management tool to support the Peptide GPCR research project and automate data validation and transformation. Provided the tools to share the project results publicly with the wider community.2015
Released and actively maintain this preconfigured Vagrant box for Joomla developers.
Over 20k downloads in its first two years!July 2014
Joomla Composer plugin
Created and actively maintain the Joomlatools Composer plugin to install Joomla extensions automatically.November 2013
Replaced manual deployment processes with Capistrano-powered deployments for all Joomlatools applications. Reduced time for deployment from 1 hour to 2 minutes and eliminated all manual work.September 2013
Belgian Police platform
Worked on the Belgian Police platform project, helping to build a high performance multi-site and multi-lingual platform for all Belgian police zones.
Responsible for coding new features and hosting of the platform.October 2012
Mari-Team is an application that monitors and analyses oil samples from ship engines.
Spearheaded the refactoring of the legacy codebase and implementation of new features.December 2010
I am passionate about open source, sharing and collaboration. I strongly believe that open technologies and increased transparency can make for a better world.
How can I help?
Need help with your current or future web application projects? I'd love to help out!
Get in touch via [email protected].